Read whilst on the go
009 June 2016
There’s no business like show business! It’s the time of the year when giant vegetables are wheeled into marquees, sheep are dyed in the wool, vintage tractors are ‘bulled’, pooches are permed, ferrets frolic and daredevil deeds are displayed. Skelton Show (2 July) and Penrith Show (23 July) are not to be missed!
Sandwiched between the two, for food lovers, Penrith is handed to you on a plate on 16 July – with a food festival that starts in the town and then spreads itself across the Eden Valley.
Not only that, but there is some sweet news, with the first ever ‘Appleby Summer Pudding’ – a festive day scheduled for 20 August, to be held at Appleby Castle.
On 19 August the new Swallows & Amazons movie will be ‘launched’ across Britain… preceded by our very own colouring competition for children age 7-11 years. There are some great prizes, sponsored generously by Glenridding Sailing Centre, Derwent Pencils and Penguin Random House publishers. Turn to page 27.
The power of print has once again been demonstrated, with the news that on 20 June CN Group launched a new daily newspaper across northern England. ‘24’ is intended to be politically neutral and refreshingly northern-centric with national news. The age of newspapers is still here!
At Penrith Today we always try to be helpful!
10 of the wurst things to say at Penrith on a Plate ….
- I love Penrith from my head tomatoes!
- What’s the fastest cake in Penrith? Scone!
- How do you start a pudding race? Sago!
- She was the apple of his eye and he liked to sit down be cider!
- When making butter there is little margarine for error!
- Chanterelle is the fungi to be with in Penrith!
- Let’s meat in Penrith. That wasn’t very cleaver!
- Becoming a vegetarian was a big missed steak!
- When the Musgrave clock is hungry it goes back four seconds
- Penrith – the best place to mullet over!
Have I made a hash of this? If you think you cod do better – let minnow!